Looking into Legacy: KOTLC!

It took forever, but the wait was finally over.
Yes, it was an agonizing month, especially since the book had already debuted.
Yes, I absolutely hated it when I ran across the occasional spoiler.
But everything was worth it when I saw the package that made my day- Legacy: KOTLC, a book I had been waiting for more than a year.
After i started on the book, it was impossible to put down. I found myself with it almost everywhere I went- right after I woke up, during breakfast, when I was changing into my uniform... If there was a way to make the pages waterproof, I would've carried into the shower as well!
Five days ago, Sunday night, I finished the massive novel, and instantly knew that I had to write an article about it. So today, we''l be working our way through the book, analyzing and over-analyzing every moment.
WARNING: WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Given the number of Legacy-related articles already on this blog, it's obvious for how long  I've been anticipating the book. And now, I finally get to write about it!
It all feels surreal, even as I write it down. I still can't believe the book came out, despite the fact I finished reading it.
With no hesitation, I can easily say my most favorite part of the book was when Team Valiant was born. Shivers went up my spine as I read about the three Sources- sunlight, starlight and moonlight. As Councillor Emery lead Sophie and her friends through the journey, it was a reminder to me as well.
No matter what we do, how great we are, or whether our actions benefit society, we'll always just be a speck of dust in the grand scheme of things. However big of a role model we may be, true inspiration is always drawn from nature. Us, being the dust, have a rather huge perspective of the universe- bigger than we can ever even begin to imagine! Because of this, the world can be as big as our minds make it up to be. We must always stay true to ourselves for precisely that. We know we're just specks of dust, why not make ourselves worthy? Why not do something to be more?
As the book progressed further into their adventure, I feel like Wylie got a lot of the attention he deserved. His personality was explored quite the bit in Legacy, which I absolutely loved. Wylie, in my opinion, is one of the strongest characters in the series. He's been through more, if not the most, emotional trauma than anyone else. Despite that, he always stayed strong, fighting against the very villains who took everything away. 
Wylie's character bio on the website says so itself: while he may not seem important at first, he slowly made is way to the top eight protagonists. Wylie had usually been very quiet, but caring and loyal all the same. It took Sophie years to earn his friendship, and now that she had, we could see his casual, more playful side. If I had to chose the most undermined character in the series, it would probably be Wylie. But with all the lovely personality exploration and character development in Legacy, I don't think that holds true anymore.
Furthermore, I think the same can be said about Dex, Biana, Stina, Marella and even Maruca. Dex proved himself to be the king of mocking insults, and could be unusually relaxed even in the most stressful of situations. Biana was an awesome, caring friend, and was always there for Sophie when she needed her. Stina actually became less of a jerk, which let's admit, the entire fandom thought was impossible. Maruca, who, I'll be honest, I never really considered before, manifested as a Psionopath. Even though she could have easily stayed away from getting directly involved with the Neverseen ordeal, she chose to be a part of it. Marella has grown a lot as well, and her Pyrokinesis was wicked. I can't wait to see more of her ability, especially fused with Linh's!
Which brings us to our next topic: Linh and Marella's ability training. If Team Valiant was my favorite part of the book, then this is definitely a close second. I have so many questions about ability combining, for example: When Marella vaporizes Linh's water to steam, can she still control it? Are there more ways to fuse their abilities? Is this combing only restricted to elemental abilities? We'll have to wait and see!
We can't mention Linh without bringing up Tam. Needless to say, he changed a lot during his time with the Neverseen. Whether it was because of the shadowflux, the Neverseen themselves, or both, it's hard to say. Tam seemed to be darker than his more normal, emo self, even after they got him back from the Neverseen. Now, he could control shadowflux, even command it to do his will. And he was forced to do so by these bonds created by a new character, Glimmer.
Glimmer is a Flasher, also recruited by the Neverseen, In the end, she temporarily proved herself to be with the good guys by breaking Tam's bonds so they could escape. Tam didn't seem to think Glimmer was a bad person, despite her mysterious vagueness. He's even inclined to be her friend, even after the pain she caused. Honestly, I don't think Glimmer is a villain either. In fact, I want to see more of her, and the person she could grow to be.
Then, of course, Sophie's unmatchable crisis. The very thing that set her on the road to finding her genetic parents, which took a wrong turn and ended pretty badly. Sophie managed to find out her biological mother, none other than Councillor Oralie. Aside from putting her into lots of emotional turmoil, this piece of information burdened her with a secret she couldn't tell to anyone. 
A secret that sent her relationship with Fitz spiraling downwards, and a huge misunderstanding. All I'll say is I'm glad they made up. No, I actually don't ship Sophitz anymore, which surprises me. They will always be my first OTP, but I'm forever on Team Sophie.
Finally, to conclude the article, Keefe's legacy. Before we start with that, let rant about of Lady Gisela is the worst person on the planet. She messed up with her own child's genes before he even existed, then neglected him for his entire life, leaving him to deal with his over-expectant father on his own, then revealed she had been a part of a rival organization all along, and had murdered two people as well, then forced his own friend to almost kill him, claiming it was all for his legacy. Who does that to their own son? I despise that woman with all my heart. Keefe certainly does deserve better.
I haven't an inkling as to what new ability he might manifest, or what Lady Gisela even means by his infamous legacy. One thing's for sure though, if something worse happens to Keefe, the fandom will go crazier than when Tam was taken. All we can do now is patiently wait in despair for an another year while our poor boy Keefe is unconscious in a coma. Councillor Oralie, whatever's in that cache of yours better be good.
This is not even the surface of Legacy. I could go on; we haven't even gone to King Enki (that traitor!), the magsidian, Ro's awesomeness and much, much more. For now, though, let's hope that the next year goes by in a flash. Book Nine, here we come!

Image result for legacy kotlc

ALL CHARACTERS BELONG TO SHANNON MESSENGER

Comments

Subscribe to Mailing List

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts