World Oceans Day

Today is June the eighth, otherwise World Oceans Day. It is a day to appreciate the oceans on our planet, to thank them for all they do for us. I guess the cliche thing to do would be to write a list of things the seas provide us with, or talk about ocean pollution. But this year, I want to do something different.
I want to inspire.
On this blog, I've done so many posts about the ocean, and made it pretty clear that I am an ocean aspirant. But I've never mentioned why; never stated the reasoning behind my love for the sea. My goal as a writer is to inspire at least one person with my words, and maybe with my story, it can be fulfilled. Maybe someone will read it, and find their true calling.
It all started when I was three. My parents decided to take me to the aquarium for the very first time. Being a rather inquisitive toddler, I was determined to make use of this trip. I was told that we were going to see big fishes, and was rather excited, as any child would be. Little did I know this visit would change my life forever.
We arrived at the aquarium. I don't remember the event at all, other than a few fuzzy details. The memory is etched somewhere in my heart, and even though I can't place the details, I know for a fact that was when my love for the ocean began.
My parents led toddler me into the building, and I stared in awe as the beautiful creatures, big and small, swam around me. I was taken to a different world; one I never wanted to return from. I could almost feel the waves thrashing against my skin, the sharp chill of the water. That was when it clicked.
That was when I knew what my life was going to be about.
And so it began. When I was five, I learned the word biologist, and claimed that when I grew up, I would be an ocean biologist. By the time I turned seven, my family was taking me to aquariums every month. Along the way of my childhood, I had loads of dreams as to my future, and the ocean was always one of them. It didn't stop when I learned that marine biology was actually a profession.
Or when I learned the seas were in danger.
At one point, not that long ago, I flat out refused to consume seafood when I saw the fish numbers depleting. When I read about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, I was livid. At the same time, I didn't know what I could do. 
What could a silly, insignificant girl going to do about the world's problems?
How would she change the world?
She always says she's an ocean aspirant- is she true to her word?
Those are questions I still ponder about today. I really, truly want to do something for the oceans, I just don't know what. I dedicate every part of my soul to the ocean, but does it show? 
Sometimes that dark, pessimistic part of you takes over. But what's worse is when that side of you is right. 
I always talk about change for the humankind; judge them harshly because of the harm they did to our planet. But sometimes I forget that I'm human too.
It scares me that I could be adding to the problem. In fact, I probably am.
The ocean is like a haven to me. It's where I go when I don't want to be in reality. I fear the water such that it inspires me. It defines my whole world.
Have you ever loved something so much your entire life revolves around it? Every part of your spirit loves it so deeply; every action you make leads back to it...
But then, you don't know how to express that love. You feel all you have are words, not deeds. It's a horrible feeling. You don't feel it all the time, but when it strikes you, it eats you from the inside.
When I'm at the beach, it takes my dad all his strength to keep me from wandering off into sea. When I was snorkeling and sea-walking on vacation, my instincts took over. I wasn't in charge of myself anymore- I lost myself completely.
I was one with the ocean.
Sometimes I feel like it was meant to be; like I was bought to Earth just for the ocean. 
I feel like I found my purpose in life, but haven't at the same time. It's confusing. 
What do I do now? What is planned for me? More ever, what is MY plan? Where will I lead my destiny? 
What will I do to our oceans that will make a difference?
So this article is mostly to put me at rest. I want to sleep with the satisfaction that I had done something this Oceans Day. 
I want to inspire others to find their passions.
I want to serve my purpose.
I want to morph my prophecy into my self-written legacy.
I want to give in to the Ocean.
 
ocean, dusk, horizon, water, beach, reflection, sea, sky, Sun

 

Comments

Subscribe to Mailing List

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts