What to do About Writer's Block

Tick.
Tick.
Tick.
The clock chimes on, while you're stuck at your desk, eyes puffy, unable to think of anything as you stare at the blank screen in front of you. You've got a bad case of the Writer's Block. As horrifying as it may seem, it's normal, more so than anyone would like to admit. Thankfully, it can be overcome, and soon you'll be back writing as though nothing happened.
The first thing you want to do is take a break. Don't force yourself to write: it rarely leads to quality work. Perhaps note down ideas, or do something else you love: jogging, drawing, music; whatever gets you inspired. I personally find poetry helps me express myself. It opens my senses to rich, raw and deep emotions; even allows me to experiment with vocabulary and learn new words. 
Next, you want to get yourself in a mood to write. For me, it usually results in reading books. When I read, it takes me to the realm described, and encourages me to write myself. I usually write my best after I've read a good book or article. Another tip is to avoid electronic screens, including video games, television, and the web. They tend to make one sluggish. Even when I read to motivate myself, I stick to physical books, rather than electronic ones. There's something about the smell of parchment and the feel of turning a page that gets those brain cells working.
After you've relaxed, start brainstorming and preparing to resume your masterpiece. While some prefer doing this in their minds, others prefer jotting notes on paper, or even sketching! No matter what you choose, be sure it works for you. After all, there is nothing more satisfying than completing a good piece of work, especially after you've triumphed through all the hardships.

Image result for write
Image Credits: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-person-writing-on-notebook-834897/

Comments

  1. Hope reading this will inspire me to get out of my very very long writers block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, writer's block, my age-old nemesis. Someday I will banish you to the depths of hell itself, bit today... Today is not that day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Mailing List

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts